Ref.: DA/PR/8/21(R) Pt. 16
18 February 2011
VACANCY CIRCULAR NO. PLAND 2011/02
To : Permanent Secretaries c.c. Judiciary Administrator
Heads of Department
(Note : Permanent Secretaries/Heads of Department are requested to ensure that copies of this circular are circulated to all eligible officers and displayed on staff notice boards in all offices of their bureaux/departments until after the closing date for applications.)
Applications are invited from serving civil servants for appointment as Town Planner in the Planning Department.
2. The pay scale of Town Planner is from Master Pay Scale Point 31 ($44,400) to Master Pay Scale Point 44 Note 1 ($74,675) per month. The pay and incremental date for a successful candidate will be determined in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Regulations 130 and 133 and as set out in the letter of appointment.
3. Candidates should –
Note 1 The information on the maximum pay point is for reference only and it may be subject to changes.
- 2 -
be Corporate Members of the Hong Kong Institute of Planners (HKIP); or
be Corporate Members of other professional town planning institutes recognised by the Director of Planning, and have a pass in Part II of the HKIP Qualifying Examination;
have at least 1 year’s appropriate working experience in the planning field after obtaining the qualification stated in (a);
have a pass result in the Aptitude Test in the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE) Note 2;
have met the language proficiency requirements of ‘Level 2’ results in the two language papers (Use of Chinese and Use of English) in the CRE or equivalent Note 2; and
speak fluent Cantonese and English, and fluency in Putonghua is an advantage.
Permanent Residency Requirement
4. Selected appointees must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region unless they were first appointed on civil service terms of appointment before 1 July 1997 and have continued in service without a break.
Candidates’ results in the Aptitude Test (AT) paper are classified as pass or fail, while the results of Use of Chinese (UC) and Use of English (UE) papers are classified as ‘Level 2’, ‘Level 1’ or ‘Fail’, with ‘Level 2’ being the highest.
Grade ‘C’ or above and Grade ‘D’ in Use of English of the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE), or equivalent, are accepted as equivalent to ‘Level 2’ and ‘Level 1’ results respectively in the UE paper of the CRE. Grade ‘C’ or above and Grade ‘D’ in Chinese Language and Culture or Chinese Language and Literature of the HKALE are accepted as equivalent to ‘Level 2’ and ‘Level 1’ results respectively in the UC paper of the CRE.
Applicants with an overall band of 6.5 or above with no subtest score below band 6 obtained in the same sitting in the Academic Module of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) within the two-year validity period of the test are considered as having met the English language proficiency requirement (item 3(d) of entry requirements) of the Town Planner post. The IELTS test result must be valid on the starting day of the application period, i.e. 18 February 2011.
- 3 -
5. A Town Planner is responsible for –
(a) preparation, revision and implementation of the territorial development strategies, and statutory and non-statutory district plans;
(b) formulation and revision of planning standards and guidelines and carrying out planning researches, studies and urban design work either directly or through managing the work of consultants;
(c) processing development proposals and planning applications and carrying out site searches for various purposes;
(d) undertaking enforcement actions against unauthorised development under the Town Planning Ordinance;
(e) development and application of geographic information system and IT technologies to facilitate public participation and decision making; and
(f) carrying out research and liaising with Mainland authorities on cross-boundary infrastructure and regional development matters.
Terms of Appointment
6. Successful candidates will be offered appointment either on trial or probationary terms as appropriate.
(Note : The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.)
- 4 -
Basic Law Assessment
7. For the purpose of heightening public awareness of the Basic Law (BL) and promoting a culture of learning of BL in the community, assessment of BL knowledge will be included in the recruitment for all civil service jobs. Results of the BL test for degree/professional grades will be one of the considerations to assess the suitability of a candidate but will not affect his/her eligibility for applying for civil service jobs. As a general principle, the main consideration for suitability for appointment remains a candidate’s qualification, experience and calibre.
8. Application forms [G.F. 340 (Rev. 1/2011)] should be forwarded to the Appointments Section, Planning Department, 18/F, North Point Government Offices, 333 Java Road, North Point, Hong Kong on or before 4 March 2011. On-line application can also be made through the Civil Service Bureau’s website (http://www.csb.gov.hk). Candidates who are selected for interview will normally receive an invitation in about six to eight weeks from the closing date for applications. Those who are not invited for interview may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.Note 3 For enquiries, please telephone the Appointments Section of the Planning Department on 2231 5011.
(Miss Clare LUI)
for Director of Planning
Note 3 Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting department may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend recruitment examination and/or interview.
As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/she will be invited to attend the selection interview/written examination without being subject to further shortlisting.
- 2 -
在International English Language Testing System (IELTS)學術模式整體分級取得6.5或以上，並在同一次考試中各項個別分級取得不低於6的成績的人士，在IELTS考試成績的兩年有效期內，會視為已符合城市規劃師職位的英文語文能力要求（即入職條件的3(d)項）。IELTS 考試成績必須在職位開始接受申請的首天(即二零一一年二月十八日)仍然有效。
- 3 -
- 4 -
8. 申請人須以通用表格第340號(1/2011修訂版)提出申請。填妥的申請表格須於二零一一年三月四日或之前送達香港北角渣華道333號北角政府合署18樓規劃署聘任組。申請人亦可透過公務員事務局互聯網站 ( h t t p : / / w w w . c s b . g o v . h k ) 作網上申請。申請人如獲選參加面試，通常會在截止申請日期後六至八個星期內接獲通知。申請人如不獲邀參加面試，可視作落選論。註3如有查詢，請致電2231 5011與規劃署聘任組聯絡。